Saturday, February 19, 2011

Starting to get there

Oh goodness, what did I get myself into? It's actually turning out pretty good, but my oh my is it like pulling teeth to get there.

OK, first off, I'm working at home all weekend, which required me actually cleaning off my table. Vala thought this was for her benefit apparently.



Also the ironing board.



So I had the main structure of the dress done already, and I had done the fitting, and I had gone back in and made the alterations and finish stitched all my previous basting. So then I had to work on the lining for the collar.

Attaching the interfacing, with the help of my furry assistant.


After I've sewn it on and pressed it the right way.


This has everything put together except the sleeves and it's not hemmed yet.


Close up of the bodice (you can see the stitching that attached the neck lining)


Vala also wanted to help put in the zipper.


Which, by the way, was a total nightmare. It took me 4 tries to get it pinned right, using 4 different instructions. The ones that came with the pattern were useless, the ones that came with the zipper weren't enough. I finally had to resort to youtube.


In the end I don't think it turned out too horribly. Could be better, of course, but for a first time it's certainly not terrible. It works, that's the important thing


And it fits! OK, maybe it could fit better, but again, first time making cloths here. The fact that it actually looks recognizably like an article of clothing would be a win in my eyes. Close to proper fit is a freaking miracle.

So tomorrow I just have to hem it, figure out how to sew sleeves, sew the sleeves, finish cutting out all the iron on transfers, iron on all the transfers, and sew the eye hook at the top of the zipper. Possibly not in that order.

No comments:

Post a Comment